Let this be your warning. Man Nearly Died of Sepsis Reportedly Caused by Nail Biting. Nail Biting, a common vice, might irk your parents, and rightly so: It can hurt your teeth, damage nail skin, and more. But if you’re one to nibble on your nails, it might be time to give it up for good because apparently, the bad habit can turn into a health emergency.
According to The Sun, British 28-year-old Luke Hanoman nearly died from sepsis and it was a result of biting his nails. Luke reportedly bit down on his nail and cut some of the skin, according to The Sun, after which he started to not feel well. He reportedly had flu-like symptoms for about a week and thought he could sleep it off.
“I had cold sweats, I was shaking, and then going hot. And then my finger started swelling up and I had this unbearable throbbing,” he told The Sun. “I started going really weird and I couldn’t focus.”
Concerned, his mother called the UK emergency hotline. At this point, Luke had a high fever and red lines on his body, according to Bustle. There, he was diagnosed with sepsis that originated from an infection at the cut in his finger.
Nail Biting Leads to Sepsis
Sepsis, a potentially life-threatening response to an infection, happens when the body attempts to fight off an infection and causes inflammatory responses in the body that can lead to organ damage or even failure, according to the Mayo Clinic. If it progresses to septic shock, the Mayo Clinic notes the condition could lead to death.
“When I was feeling better they told me I was lucky to be alive,” Lucas said, according to The Sun.
While Lucas is reportedly doing much better, he’s now calling for more awareness around sepsis. In the meantime, we’ll be sure to keep our teeth far away from our nails — nervous habit or not.